emacs flamebait

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 08:17:09 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Aaron Cordova on 3/15/2003 09:05 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ Since I am a GUI junkie I never use emacs, I have fired it up only once in
\_ my life and I wasnt even impressed. To tell the truth. I cant even think of
\_ a reason to use emacs ever? When I have to edit from the comand line I just
\_ use the "easy to use" Vi <-----more flamebait ;)

I've used both well, although I stopped before the advent of vim.

Best vi trick I've heard of: my friend made a shell w/ history out of
vi (via mapping return :-) because the shells available on that
machine didn't have history.  This was the wee dark ages, so be
quiet.  :-)

Under emacs I've managed to arrange it so that I could arbitrarily
spam an instant messenger client with 'sinck just saved file
<filename>'.

The solution is to use the tool you're comfy with and can edit from
point a to point b the fastest.

David
	like the many headed hydra, emacs grows new extensions even as you
	 customize the old ones -- <resolve>