I'm confused about RH8's reply to "rpm -q apache"... 'not installed'

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:36:18 -0700

Mark Berkwitt wrote:
> Thanks.
> Would the same type of thing apply to the "gd-devel" and "mod_php4"
> packages?

I don't know if you are specifically replying to me.  Actually I am not
sure what you are asking, but rpm -qa | grep <something> is one way to
search for what packages are installed.

Example:

godber@ ~>rpm -qa | grep php
php-pgsql-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-manual-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-ldap-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-imap-4.2.2-8.0.7
php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.7

godber@ ~>rpm -qa | grep gd-devel
gd-devel-1.8.4-9

This shows what packages I have installed that contain the strings php
and gd-devel in their names.  But you have to have some idea what their
names are.

On the otherhand.  If you are using apt on your RedHat machine, then you
can use apt-cache to search all of the packages descriptions (those
installed and those not installed).  So if I do:

godber@ ~>apt-cache search apache
asp2php - Converts WWW Active Server Pages to PHP pages
mod_perl - An embedded Perl interpreter for the Apache Web server.
mod_python - An embedded Python interpreter for the Apache Web server.
redhat-config-httpd - Apache configuration tool
httpd - Apache HTTP Server
httpd-devel - Development tools for the Apache HTTP server.
httpd-manual - Documentation for the Apache HTTP server.
mod_ssl - SSL/TLS module for the Apache HTTP server
php - The PHP HTML-embedded scripting language. (PHP: Hypertext
Preprocessor)
php-imap - An Apache module for PHP applications that use IMAP.
php-ldap - A module for PHP applications that use LDAP.
php-pgsql - A PostgreSQL database module for PHP.
proftpd - A flexible, stable and highly-configurable FTP Server.

Some of these are installed, but all of them are in the apt/rpm
repository that my apt looks at.

Austin