MySQL install

Joel W. Leibow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:05:06 -0700

I just went through the MySQL install for version 3.23.55.  Everything ran
fine, however when I attempted to run ./scripts/mysql_install_db i get the
following error.  "Sorry, the host 'supermicro' could not be looked up.
Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
the --force option".  I'm relatively new to the linux environment so this is
something that I am not familiar with.  I'm running red hat 7.3.  Prior to
installing MySQL I set HOSTNAME in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to supermicro then I
ran the hostname command to set the name to supermicro.  Is there something
else that needs to be done?  I know that I can just run the script with the
force option, but I would rather not do that.  I would prefer to resolve the
hostname issue.  Anyone have any advice?

Joel Leibow
Internet Systems Developer
Pro-Web Solutions