LILO question

Tom Jones plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:58:31 -0700 (MST)

On 12 Mar 2003, Liberty Young wrote:

> Have  a quick question for you all out there:
>
> Does LILO allow
> "console=tty1 console=ttyS1,9600n8"
>
> in order for kernel messages to be put through BOTH the vga device and
> COM2?? Or will it just ignore the last one and only put stuff out
> through vga?

This will put the kernel messages through to both destinations.  I just
setup a box to do this very thing about three weeks ago.  2.4, if you're
wondering.

> I was under the belief that the _kernel_ won't allow use both (in a 2.2
> OR a 2.4 kernel)

Stock RedHat kernel will allow this, your distribution may not.  It's a
parameter definable at build time.  Check the "Remote Serial Console
HowTo" for more info:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

TJ