Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conference?)

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:48:30 -0700 (GMT)

Well, putting aside any consiracy theories about trying to sand bag MS alternatives, that is just pain unwise.  *nix must register, MS does not.  Amazing.

Alan

-------Original Message-------
From: Austin Godber <godber@uberhip.com>
Sent: 03/13/03 10:38 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conference?)

> Alan Dayley wrote:
> Let me understand...
>
> Supposed I am a graduate student and I have need to use a computer in my
engineering research at an ASU lab somewhere.

> If I bring in my old 233MHz computer with the original, un-patched
Windows 98 installed on it and connect it to the school network I DON'T have to
register it?  But if I have the latest Red Hat Linux on it, fully patched
and secured, I HAVE to register it?

ABSOLUTELY.  There has never been an initiative to register MS products.

Austin

PS - I am playing a bit of a fool here.  I understand there intent.  I
just find it painfully misguided.  I know many of the people using linux
machines in the college, and know their needs and understand the need
for security.  ETS (Engineering Technical Service) is either deliberatly
making the effort of owning a Linux machine painfully high or simply
doesnt know the best way to deal with their linux situation.

Example - people (professors and researchers) have systems that they
have had some custom software built on for whatever reason, or some
packages installed and services running in support of either classes or
research.  Some of these machines are pretty bad off as far as security
goes.  ETS says they have to upgrade to the latest distribution.  They
don't say, turn off uneccessary services (they could send someone up to
do that job in about 5 minutes) and upgrade the services you are using,
only accept connections from ASU ips.  I think ETS is trying to scare
people away from linux or at least from running their own linux
machines.  If they provided some centralized facility to support the
needs of these people that would be fine.  I am not sure what they
provide, but it doesn't seem to me that they are going out of their way
to help.