Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU Conferenc e?)

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:34:35 -0700

He never said anything about other OS's he simply said Linux boxes need to be registered.  This is reasonable.  All boxes on the network should be registered or the admin is a fool.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Dayley [mailto:alandd@mindspring.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 12:20 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Computer registration at ASU (Was: Re: Linux at ASU
Conference?)

Let me understand...

Supposed I am a graduate student and I have need to use a computer in my engineering research at an ASU lab somewhere.

If I bring in my old 233MHz computer with the original, un-patched Windows 98 installed on it and connect it to the school network I DON'T have to register it?  But if I have the latest Red Hat Linux on it, fully patched and secured, I HAVE to register it?

Alan