Off-Shore Engineering

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
13 Mar 2003 08:48:33 -0700

--=-wjJ5B5/4JDa3wK9rf9Vd

I think that Derek appropriately responded to the rest of this, but
there is one little part I'd like to add.

> What's the answer for people currently working as software
> engineers?  I have no idea.  But I can't recommend this field
> for anyone who's still in school.  There's fields out there with
> much better long-term potential, such as biotech and
> pharmaceuticals.

What makes you think that these jobs can't go overseas?  Trust me,
anyone who can get a Ph.D. in computer science could probably do the
same in biology.  And in fact they are.  Imagine pharmaceutical
companies shipping all of their drug testing over seas.  They have much
less stringent laws on animal testing and lower wages, sounds like a
good idea to me.

The reality is that almost anything can be shipped overseas.  But there
is significant cost in doing so.  There is cost in both getting what you
want, and from having someone that is committed to what you are doing.=20
If some contracting house in India that you are using decides that they
don't like the contract you gave them any more, what are you going to
do?  Hire a team of lawyers in India and show up there for the trial?  I
think that in the future people will realize that there is a lot of
overhead stateside to shipping jobs overseas.

Currently this balance is probably too far to the US, then it will go
too far overseas, and then too far...  I guess you get the idea.

		--Ted

--=-wjJ5B5/4JDa3wK9rf9Vd

--=-wjJ5B5/4JDa3wK9rf9Vd--