Boot Magic --> LILO --> Slackware

Ronald Jacobowitz plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:23:03 -0700 (US Mountain Standard Time)

On a PC with Slackware 8.1 installed on hard disk #2, with LILO written to
the beginning of /hdb1 and Boot Magic (in Win98) as primary boot loader,
Slackware loads OK from both a boot floppy and with loadlin from an MS-DOS
partition, but when I try to load it with Boot Magic the 3.5 drive starts
to growl and on the monitor there appears

   L 01 01 01 01

(the screen filling with 01s).

Boot Magic has no trouble loading Caldera Open Linux 1.3 (with its LILO)
on hard disk #3, nor two other Linux distributions (Red Hat 6.2, Caldera
1.3) I tested on disk #2 instead of Slackware.  Of course, the others
have a more automated installation procedure than Slackware.

An observation: when I type

  lilo

from the Slackware command line, the computer returns

  Warning: /dev/hdb1 is not on the first disk

whereas my lilo.conf file makes no mention of /hda, so it would seem to me
that some other file, being read before lilo.conf, needs to be modified.
But being a Linux newbie, I have no idea of what to look for, or where.

Does anyone recognize this problem, or have any suggestions?