Windows Rights Management

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:04:33 -0800 (PST)

I have not verified the below myself, but it
comes from Paul Thurrot, News Editor of "Windows
and .NET" magazine, so expect it's at least
fairly accurate.  I throw this out just so it's
on everyone's radar.  I think you'll be able to
pull the implications out of this yourselves so I
won't bother to comment further, other than to
say it appears that - so far - this new twist is
easily circumvented:
"Office 2003 Beta 2 includes an interesting new
capability called Windows Rights Management (WRM)
that helps you protect sensitive corporate data
and other intellectual property. Available in
Word
2003, Excel 2003, and Outlook 2003, this feature
lets you set permissions rights on documents,
spreadsheets, and email so that, for example, you
can prevent an email recipient from printing,
screen capturing, copying, or forwarding
sensitive information. In my early tests with WRM
technology, I've discovered a simple workaround,
but the technology does work roughly as
advertised: If you attempt to open a protected
email message in Outlook, Outlook connects you to
a WRM server to validate your permissions. If you
attempt to open that message in another email
client, the client won't open or display the
message."

.