Suggestion for good 56K modem for Linux

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
10 Mar 2003 10:41:08 -0700

Because a modem was designed to do something that the transport layer
was never designed for. The data transport layer was designed to carry
audio and a limited bandwidth of audio at that. A modem converts digital
data to audio and then reconverts it to digital data at the far end.
Actually takes quite a lot of electronics to do that reliably. Modems
are much more complex then an Ethernet card. For example an Ethernet
card uses 4 wires to move data. 2 for transmitting, 2 for receiving. A
modem has to combine transmit and receive onto a single wire pair and
still move data in both directions at the same time.

Add to that a now lower volume of modems being sold and the price stays
fairly high.

Cheers,

Davidm