Wireless network questions

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:29:07 -0700

On Sunday 09 March 2003 11:00, David Mandala wrote:
> Pigtail MUST be short at least as short as possible <20 feet preferred.
> Power falls off fast in cable runs. IBM makes a card with almost 2x the
> power of the Lucent cards, I'd use them. Can you just go over the roof,
> the extra distance (length of a house) in the air is almost irrelevant.

Yes, the distance over the house would be trivial.  I am pretty sure we c=
an=20
arrange things at both ends to accomodate short pigtails.  Thanks.

I am worried about the problem of house placement and that we don't have =
a lot=20
of money to buy things that don't accomplish the job.

To summarize the house placement I made a little web page so interested=20
parties can see what I am worried about=20
(http://www.mindspring.com/~alandd/wirelessgoal.html).  Essentially there=
 is=20
a house directly between the two we want to network.  It would be easiest=
 on=20
both ends if we can shoot the signal straight through the house in betwee=
n=20
but I don't know if that is feasable with CANtannas.  I guess we can pick=
 the=20
line that passed through the least of the house between but putting the=20
CANtannas where that can be done.

I realize most of this will be trial and error.  I just want to aviod the=
=20
errors within the least amount of expense and work.

Alan