Samba rejects password change

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 10:04:25 -0700

It sounds like you have something that is checking the quality of your
password.  It lets root give users bad passwords however.  There are PAM
modules that do this, but I don't know specifically how or what.

OK, Actually I have tested smbpasswd changing on my machine and it seems
that I get that same error message under two conditions:
1) The "Old Password" I enter does not match the correct old password
2) The "New Password" I enter is weak (I tried "test")

Also notice, that the smbpasswd command works like this
smbpasswd [password]

That is, if you put something after the smbpasswd command it thinks it
is the new password you want to change to for the current user.

Except when run by root ... check out man.

Austin