RH 7.3 install hell

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:21:23 -0500

I got it up, here's the scoop:

when installing the first time, at the point where you commit and click n=
ext=20
to actually start the partition formatting and loadin the chosen rpms, it=
=20
came back with the error of not being able to copy the install image, per=
haps=20
there wasn't enuff room (there was), so I clicked 'next' again and it wor=
ked. =20
went to create my bood floppy, and it wouldn't create and the floppy list=
=20
stayed on.  opened the hood and whoever made the server put on the floppy=
=20
cable backwards.

so i had to do it again... no big deal.  well, it wouldn't copy the image=
=20
again, even on the second or third try, so I did the complete install aga=
in,=20
and again, and again, and again, change partition sizes as I went.  No lu=
ck. =20
So I just sat there clicking the final 'next' after the image copy failur=
e,=20
and on the 7TH(!) time it just worked and it's up!

Crazy stuff.  But the server is up and running, boot floppy made and all.=
  It=20
reminds me of back when you had to start the install with the 3 boot flop=
pies=20
and only about 1 out of every 2 would work the first time, but after=20
repeatedly inserting the same floppy you would succeed.

anyway, that's this particular headache by the wayside.

anthony