backing up the hard drive

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:22:21 -0500

harddrive has 2 partitions: / and /home.  tarred /home to
home.tgz and while tarring / recieved:

the last file shown was the home.tgz file in / before it
crashed.

cleaning things up and moving home.tgz off of /

I'll keep everyone posted on the results

anthony

It seems to have failed as the file is only 1.2 gigs for
8+gig worth of stuff (compression isn't that good is it?)

From: David Mandala <davidm@them.com>
Date: 2003/03/04 Tue PM 01:50:27 EST
To: Plug <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: Re: backing up the hard drive

-l would stay in a single file system which would exclude
/proc since it
is a different file system. So you might have to do a
couple of tar
files, first tar any sub file systems you want.

If you have forexample:
/dev/sda1             16476984   4762700  10877300  31% /
/dev/sda5	       6476984	  762700   877300    xx%
/usr/local
/dev/sda6	       6476984	  762700   877300    xx%
/var

[root@dual /]#tar czvf var.tgz /var
[root@dual /]#tar czvf usr_local.tgz /usr/local
[root@dual /]#tar tar -czlvf / complete.tgz

This will tar up sda5 and sda6 leaving the tar files on
sda1 then the
final tar will scoop them up into the complete image.

Cheers,

Davidm

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 11:31, tickticker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> moving a server from mandrake to redhat, but I'd like to
tar.gz the Mandrake drives, minus the proc directory, for
backup purposes, before i wipe it and install RH.
basically, the whole drive in one tar.gz file that I can
copy off the machine in case i might need something.

> Would anyone happen to know what the tar command would
be for this?  I would play around and look myself but
there is a time crunch here, and ark is too slow.

> Thank you for you quick replies
>
> anthony

David IS Mandala
gpg fingerprint 8932 E7EF CCF5 1B8C 1B5C A92E C678 795E
45B2 D952
Phoenix, AZ (480) 460-7545 HP, (602) 741-1363 CP
http://www.them.com/~davidm/