how do I chop of characters at the end of a line...

Bill Jonas plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 10:03:54 -0700

--/9nxfG+mZwdJSiAE

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:23:34AM -0700, Entelin wrote:
> lol thanks everyone, sorry for not specifying the language (bash), but
> suffice to say I have serveral methods now I can try :)

bash?  Try one of these:

$ a =3D"string.txt"
$ echo ${a%%.txt}
string
$ echo ${a//.txt/}
string
$ b=3D"${a%%.txt}"
$ echo $b
string

See the "Parameter Expansion" section in bash(1) for more details.

--=20
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins

--/9nxfG+mZwdJSiAE

--/9nxfG+mZwdJSiAE--