Linux partitions

Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:29:37 -0700 (MST)

Am 10. Feb, 2003 schw=E4tzte Miles Beck so:

> /boot - the boot partition I made 8 megabytes.

/boot needs to be bigger when using 2.4.x kernels. At least on debian.
debian is now using an initrd, which pre-loads a bunch of stuff. I've got 7
kernels installed on my primary workstation. Each has an initrd of 2.9 to
3.6 MB. That's over 21 MB just for my initrds.

I generally suggest 50 or 100 MB for /boot.

At this point I don't even make a /boot partition on most boxen and just
make sure that / is big enough to handle it.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  The Internet is the front line of the battle
#  to protect our freedom. -- Nathaniel Borenstein