Specialty area

Mark Myers plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Mar 2003 16:48:27 -0500

With the "Baby Boomers" getting nothing but older, the careers of
funeral directors and embalmers will be nothing but growing.
:-)

But seriously, having Linux knowledge in IT will nothing but help you.
The my company (Dial Corporation) uses HP, Solaris, and Win2K servers,
it was my Linux knowledge that got me the job (my strengths are in
computer operation and NT administration). When I interviewed, my
then-to-be boss asked, "What command would you use to see all of the
processes running in Unix." I said, "ps dash and some use a small "a"
and others use a capital "A."" I got the job.

The future of Linux in IT gets brighter and brighter with each new
passing day. It is making headway on both Unix and Windows. AND, the
knowledge you gain from Linux can be ported to any Unix flavor with very
little study.

Personally, if I were studying and learning Linux for a job
marketability standpoint, I would concentrate on the RedHat
distribution.
Just my 2¢ worth.
Mark M.