disto for laptop

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Mar 2003 15:02:02 -0700

--=-tbYX4V6YwfJsHuDOboGY

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 13:07, Mark Phillips wrote:
> cards. When I recompiled the kernel I tried to optimize it for Pentium MM=
X,=20
> but I noticed very little if any speed improvement. I then installed=20
> Mandrake 8.2 and it is much faster, and Debian is even faster (even using=
=20
> X).

Debian is nice that you shouldn't have to recompile a kernel to get one
optimized for your architecture.  There should be prebuilt kernels
optimized for it. =20

Also, Debian is pretty darn minimalist on the install, which means it
will only install what you tell it to.  In general, this makes things
faster, becuase you dont have a bunch of services running that you never
plan on using.  I suspect since Mandrake is aiming a lot lately at
desktop it probably does a good job of installing mostly desktop stuff
and so also gets some boost in this area.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org