disto for laptop

Mark Phillips plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 13:07:13 -0700

Mark,

I ran into the same problems with my old Inspiron 3000 (233 MHz Pentium
MMX, 148 MB RAM, 6 GB hard drive). I had the same issue with Redhat 7.3,
but I had to rebuild the kernel since it would not recognize my pcmcia
cards. When I recompiled the kernel I tried to optimize it for Pentium MMX,
but I noticed very little if any speed improvement. I then installed
Mandrake 8.2 and it is much faster, and Debian is even faster (even using
X).

In addition, Mandrake and Debian did a much better job with the NeoMagix
video chips - the fonts are much crisper and the whole screen "pops" just
as it did with Windows. (I think Redhat 7.3 used an earlier version of
Xfree, so that was probably the problem with the display, and I never tried
to install a new version and I am not sure what Redhat 8 uses).

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc.
mark@phillipsmarketing.biz
480 945-0798
480 945-9197 fax

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message,
however, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.