Questions regarding Knoppix

Mark Phillips plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:55:25 -0700

Kevin,

Thanks for your response - I sent a message to Austin and it only went to
him instead of the list.....Here it is...

Austin,

OK, I got it all figured out, I hope!

1. /dev/hda1=hard drive to copy, /dev/sda1=external firewire hard drive;
destination for partimage (automatically recognized by Knoppix!)
2. I ran fdisk on each disk (/dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1) and they came back as
fat32
3. I mounted /dev/sda1 as rw (default for both drives was ro)
4. I ran partimage -z1 save /dev/hda1 /mnt/sda1/Images/win2k.partimage.gz -
copied about 700MB

Now, my last few questions.

1. According to the man page for partimage, the MBR is automatically copied
with the partition image. However, I got an error message saying the using
the default compression (bzip2) the MBR could not be restored, so I went
with the -z1 option and gzip. When I did an imginfo the message indicated
that the MBR was copied. However, in one of your emails you recommended
making a separate step and copy the MBR manually using

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/sda1/Images/had-img.mbr bsQ2 count=1

Is this necessary, or were you helping me out with the bzip2 limitation in
partimage?

2. If I mess up my hda1 later, all I need to do is run

partimage restore /dev/hda1 /mnt/sda1/Images/win2k.partimage.gz

and it will write over the MBR and all other files to restore the system to
today's configuration. For example, I have OfficeXP currently on the hda1
partition, so it will be restored to its current state. All other files
will be lost on the disk. Or, do I have to fdisk the hda1 first and then
run partimage?

3. When I restore, do I have to restore to the same size hard drive? If I
repartition hda1 to have 2 partitions - one for win2k and one for Linux.
Can I restore the Win2K partition from my firewire drive to the now smaller
partition on hda1? If yes, does it have to be the same drive, or can I now
take the saved win2k partition to another computer and different size drive
and install it and boot up Win2k?

4. Now that I have saved this partition, should I use PartionMagic (Windows
program) to cut the current partition in half to install Linux, or depend
on the Linux distro's install program to repartition the drive? Which
distro would you recommend Mandrake or Redhat?

Thanks for all your help!

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc.
mark@phillipsmarketing.biz
480 945-0798
480 945-9197 fax

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message,
however, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.