disto for laptop

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 12:46:57 -0700

I have a Compaq Armada 7792DMT laptop w/96 MB RAM and 5 GB hard disk. It has a
Pentium 266M processor (not PII). I have installed RedHat 8 & Lindows 3 on it
(yes, I paid $99 for a Linux distro) but they both seem very slow. The only
OSes that I get to run a a decent speed are Mandrake and Win2K.
I really want to use RedHat 8 on it. After install, if I recompile the kernel,
will that help my speed issues?  I know it is never going to be blazing in X,
but it really shouldn't take 15 seconds to get the reply window up when
replying to an e-mail in Evolution.
TKIA.

Mark Myers

FastQ Communications
Providing Innovative Internet Solutions Since 1993