Perplexed

Bill Jonas plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:21:53 -0700

--nWXOnJi0KA08nsJq

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:49:45PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> you mean that it writes to  tet-sor first?

No, it *prepares* test-sor for writing first.  In this case, the single
'>' indicates overwriting the file if it exists.  '>>', of course, would
indicate that you want to append to the file if it exists, but that will
cause problems.  (Think infinite loop, or a race condition at the very
least.)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 05:43:13PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> Well DUH! I know what you mean.... but isn't there an easier way to write=
 the=20
> sorted file to the same file name (rather than renaming a tmp file)? If n=
ot I=20
> say that there should be!

Try <http://www.billjonas.com/code/#owrite>.  No warranty, blah blah.
;-)

--=20
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins

--nWXOnJi0KA08nsJq

--nWXOnJi0KA08nsJq--