COX blocks outbound smtp

Eric Lee Green plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:11:08 -0700

On Friday 27 June 2003 10:12 am, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 09:22, David Mandala wrote:
> > That is a big problem. My wife's notebook had been setup with the
> > necessary forward command and then she took the laptop to her new job.
> > Fortunately the first email she sent was to me, when she did not hear
> > back from me she called.
> >
> > I checked her mail logs, saw the message was sent and accepted for
> > delivery. It NEVER arrived. Then I reset her mail server to send
> > directly and had her resend the mail, I got it in seconds.
> >
> > Anyway long story short, be careful if you use a laptop or you may lose
> > outbound mail.
>
> ----
> Makes good sense to me - are they going to generate an email for
> everyone who wants to use their mail server from an unknown source?
> Where would they send the email to? The fictitous return address used by
> spammers?

The problem is that the COX SMTP service should reject the attempt to send
EMAIL with a "Relaying not Allowed" error message, rather than accepting the
message then disappearing it into the twilight zone. My own mail server will
disappear EMAIL to invalid addresses into the twilight zone, but does send
the proper "Relaying not Allowed" response.

--
Eric Lee Green  mailto:eric@badtux.org
Unix/Linux/Storage Software Engineer needs job --