Who does major Linux independent work?

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 22:25:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Alexander Henry wrote:

> Failing that, who else does this?

I do Linux work. And I do *BSD work. (I do open source Unix work.)

I sure feel lucky to make a living (sometimes good, sometimes bad) for the
past few years from entirely doing Linux and BSD work. This work is
diverse but all related to open source Unix: freelancing articles (for
print), editing open source-focused news websites, administration/tech
support, teaching classes, miscellaneous programming, security work, et
cetera.

My company is currently working on expanding our hands-on classes and a
monthly lecture series. (This is mostly in Seattle, but this next week in
sunny Phoenix.)

The subject line says "independent". I've been doing part-time, random
open source consulting for about five years while I worked other jobs
(head BSD and Linux admin for a multi-state ISP for a couple years and
also for internet.com's Linux/open source channel for two years), but now
this month is my one year anniversary of focusing full-time.

My wife reminded me that it has been a year and that we need to
re-evaluate if this open source focus is worth it for my family.

I am really curious if others are making it financially while focusing
on Linux.

(Alexander: please add me to your list for discussing advertising.)

   Jeremy C. Reed

http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/