know people in .ut.us?

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:22:18 -0700 (MST)

Am 20. Jun, 2003 schw=E4tzte Robert Wultsch so:

> Until about a a year ago I did was a windows only user that had no
> liscenes for the software I had. As I tend to be rather moral in the end
> it was just not tenable. About the same time that I got rid of all of my
> illegal software I got a bunch of cd's ripped off. I had no qualms about
> replacing my stolen music with mp3's.

We're allowed to make backups for such eventualities. We were allowed to,
anyway. I'm not sure after DMCA.

You should still get ogg rather than mp3 ;-).

> At this point I realy wonder if my I have a greater chance of being
> raided by jbt with my legal  (I did all my shopping online if it ever
> comes to that) music as opposed when I had software that was not on the
> up and up. I really get the feeling that software companies blow off
> consumer copyright infringment, while the riaa/mpaa is very heavy handed.

BSA has been very heavy-handed, but generally against businesses, where the
money is. RIAA/MPAA is heavy-handed against consumers, where the money is.

> And for the record I am now compleatly legal (even my windows boxes for
> the first time since 3.1) and even now lecture people about alternatives
> to copyright infringment (i.e. the gimp for windows over stealing
> photoshop, openoffice instead of office).

Glad to hear it!

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.
#  An author has only the opportunity to make it uninteresting. - der.hans