Tired of Being Screwed By Cox (no pun intended)

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:32:42 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Eric Thelin on 6/17/2003 15:21 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ It was submitted to slashdot and here by a co-worker of mine.  He is
\_ angry because cox is not only blocking port 25 but also adding relay
\_ filters to only allow email sent with the from address set to use your
\_ cox.net address.  So he can't send out emails from his personal domain
\_ or a domain used for a home based business in any way except web mail
\_ that avoids smtp until off of the cox network.

from http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/email_info.shtml

 | Q: Does this mean that I have to use my @cox.net email address for
 | everything I send?
 |
 | A: No. You can use any valid email address, but the email sent from
 | your Cox High Speed Internet connection must be routed through a Cox
 | SMTP server.
 | [...]
 | Q: I pay for my own domain name so I can send personal email through
 | that server. Why are you blocking this legitimate use?
 |
 | A: We understand that some customers have vanity domain names and this
 | action should not keep you from using your personal domain name. To
 | ensure your ability to send email from your personal domain, your mail
 | client must be set to a Cox outgoing mail server. This change in
 | settings will be transparent to email recipients, and will not impact
 | your ability to receive email. If you have a business requirement to
 | bypass the Cox mail servers, please contact Cox Business Services for
 | additional options.

I'd so much like to say I'm suprised that this seems to be false.

David