Kernel 2.4.21

Eric Thelin plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:59:11 -0700 (MST)

Or even modern hardware.  I have seen very poor support for the onboard
features of modern motherboards.  Often there is binary support from the
vendor but only for major distros or specific kernel releases.  Such as
the ac97_codec that you mention.  The boards all support the AC97
standard which means that once you get a driver for your specific
hardware you will then load the ac97_codec module.  But the driver for
any modern VIA chipset is either binary only or alsa.  Neither of which
are friendly to the midlevel linux hacker.  (Not that alsa is bad just
that it is different and all documentation is written for OSS.)  I find
that the cheaper and older the hardware the more likely it is to be
supported.  But if you are willing to play with it there are usually
patches to be had or other drivers that will get most things working,
but somethings take much finesse.

Eric