door-hacking?

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:23:00 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Mike Starke on 6/17/2003 09:06 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ We have all heard of drive-by's on the 802.11 side
\_ of things.......blah, blah.....
\_
\_ Has anyone heard of tools/means to decipher garage-door
\_ openers? sniffers or scanners?
\_
\_ My girlfriend had her door go up in the middle of the night
\_ on Sunday....twice. I changed the code an all was well.
\_ Only thing unusual I noticed was a neighbor working in hos
\_ garage at the time (midnight) and two shelves of computer monitors
\_ in there....I guess I got to thinking about the possibility...?

Oh yeah.  I read an article in Forbes many a moon ago that was
interviewing a group of blackhats turned whitehats for $$.  My fav
quote: "Firewalls are hard on the outside, crunchy on the inside."
How many levels of security do you have?  Just a firewall?  ooops.

Anyway, there was an implication that one of the foursome had made
something akin to a HERF gun, gone up to a peak in SF one morning, and
bathed the city with garage door open signals, then merrily drove home
past many opened garages.

This would be back when garage doors were stupider.  Me, if I were to
go for a secure garage door, I'd get something computer controlled and
have a wireless ssh --no-new-hosts connection trip it.  :-)  Either
that or leave the dobermans in the garage in cages with the cat
outside roaming around taunting them.

Kidding... we don't have pets, discounting the fish and scorpions.

David