Good Bye Linux

Paul Dickson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:58:49 -0700

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:06:42 -0400 (EDT), Gary Nichols wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
>
> > After several weeks of unsuccessful effort to install Linux on a desktop
> > I am giving up and returning to more profitable activities.  I have
> > tried 3 different distributions (Mandrake 9.1, Red Hat 8.0 and Knoppix
> > 3.2) all with much hassle and no success.  Some on this list have
> > alluded that I have a hardware problem yet the same PC was rock solid on
> > Windows 98 SE.
>
> Somehow I missed this discussion.  What's wrong?  What doesn't work?
> Perhaps I'll have to scan the archives later.

I went back three months of messages from this list and he never describes
his hardware or setup.

I found that 2.4 linux systems were barely using swap space.  Instead it
was kill of process due to lack of memory.  It wasn't until I installed
RH9 that I finally saw swap usage greater 20 MB.  I'm current at 149 MB
and I have 256 MB of RAM.

	-Paul