VFP on Linux (was: mysql vs. postgresql)

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:27:57 -0700

MS admits that Access is for non-programmers while VFP is for programmers
developing for end users.

I have been using Fox since Fox Base 1.0 (the beginning, pre MS).  I have
replaced Access systems with VFP due to Access's limitations.  We have
developed satellite VFP systems sharing Access data (ODBC) while enhancing
with  VFP data.  We have converted the Access data to MS SQL server to
improve performance (to many users).  The VFP data base remained,
performance was great.

I like VFP!!!  (no flames please)

I understand VFP 6, VFP 7 and VFP 8 can run on Linux via Wine (or
CodeWeavers CrossOver).  Further, I understand MS introduced some wording in
the licensing of VFP 8 restricting (at least the runtime) to MS OS systems
only.

I am now trying to get VFP 6 (and or 7, I have 7, I tend to work in 6)
running under Wine.  If this works, I think it will be a great boost for
Linux (certainly here at CGC).  Might be a good InstallFest demo.  I would
love to do that.

FWIW, we (CGC) have two CrossOver Office licenses.  I am sure (I think) it
will be easier under CrossOver, but I want to do this with Wine (free and I
think open source) if possible.  I am in the process of reading the Wine
docs but may be bugging you folks for Wine input shortly.

Later,

George Wayne Gambill ...  Registered Linux User: #311028