ODBC for OpenOffice.org (was Re: mysql vs. postgresql)

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:26:19 -0700

Good to know.

Nevertheless, it sidesteps the need for a true Access/Paradox substitute.
1) Installing a SQL database and ODBC interface should not be expected of the
merely competent intermediate user.
2) In my experience, most users are intimidated by having to set up an ODBC
source even after the driver is intalled.
3) On the scale of an organization or enterprise SysAdmins and/or DBA may want
users to attach to a central data-source.  This will result in users comming
under the thumb of the DBA (as in, read-only access).  Much better to give
each user their own file-oriented database toy.