LDAP vs NIS

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:09:10 -0700 (PDT)

> Hello,
> 	I have a smallish network of PCs (15 Win2k and 10 Linux mixed distro).  I
> have
> my samba domain already installed with samba 2.2 (you probably remember
> deleting
> my whining about roaming profiles) and am looking for a solution to do
> network
> authentication for the linux boxes.  I already knew of NIS so I was going
> to do
> that, but then I realized that it could be done with LDAP as well and am
> now
> considering that.  Anyone have tips?
>
> 	NIS seems a little old and from what I have heard a little touchy.  NIS+
> sounds
> like its a beast.  So I think I will give LDAP a shot.
>
> Austin

In strictly *nix environments, NIS is being rapidly replaced with LDAP and
NIS+ is rarely used because of its complexity, although it does address
many of the shortcoming of NIS.  Instead, in a mixed environment, I would
recommend that you use either winbindd (with Samba 2.2.2 and higher) or
pam_ldap to authenticate Linux boxes to your Windows Domain Controllers
(or your Samba Domain Controllers).  Google for howtos.
~M