mysql vs. postgresql

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
14 Jun 2003 22:26:44 -0700

--=-i7tPCR6m628syz60yLfN

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 22:05, Trent Shipley wrote:
> Another item to take into consideration is market share.
>=20
> Most of the time it is wiser to use the most popular application and not =
the=20
> best.
>=20
>=20
If this is the criteria.  Please pickup Windows 2000 and MSSQL Server.=20
It is FAR more widely used.  I'm sorry I just have a hard time accepting
this logic.

MySQL and Postgres are both in use by enough companies to not fall prey
to the "popular" FUD issue. (imho)  You have to make reasonably good
decisions that there is a community in which to get help and extend the
software.

However, let me tell you a story about proprietary software.

There was this "big" company called Peoplesoft.  Many Fortune 1000
companies bought their software because it was widely used.  One day a
"bigger" company called Oracle propositioned to buy them out.  They
vowed upon doing so that all development of Peoplesoft products would
stop and within 2 years there would be no support offerred for the old
product.

Moral of the story:

It doesn't matter how freaking big you are, what your market cap is or
how popular your software is.  If you don't have the sourcecode you are
totally screwed if you bet your business on proprietary software. ;)

Sub Moral if Postgres is bigger than MySQL or vice versa it doesn't well
mean hocky.  Either one could be gone tomorrow (but at least you would
have the source code to avoid having to hang yourself).

-Derek

--=-i7tPCR6m628syz60yLfN

--=-i7tPCR6m628syz60yLfN--