Convince me about Debian

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:47:07 -0700

der.hans wrote:

>Am 12. Jun, 2003 schwätzte Jeremy C. Reed so:
>

>>>Its very frustrating
>>>trying to sort out 7 different distros each with 5 versions made up of
>>>hundreds of separate packages. That's why I let that RH7.3 dog keep
>>>sleeping. Learn Linux in 100,000 easy steps!
>>>

>>There's a lot more that seven distros (although many are based on same).
>>

>There are even non-Linux distros :).
>
>http://www.debian.org/ports/freebsd/
>
>ciao,
>
>der.hans

Actually, there are a few distros that have addressed this frustration.
A good example is Dropline GNOME ( http://www.dropline.net ) which
enhances Slackware ( http://www.slackware.com .) Slackware creator
Patrick Volkerding values simplicity, stability, and adhering to unix
traditions. Todd Kulesza's Dropline GNOME gives you an improved GNOME
desktop that looks beautiful but is not over done.

Here's an example from the graphics menu. Mouseover the menu listing and
you get a detailed explaintion of what program is actually run and what
it does.

Advanced Image Editor - A powerful image manipulator (The GIMP)
Image collection Viewer - View and organize your images (gThumb)
Image Viewer - View single images (Eye of GNOME)
PostScript Viewer - Display PostScript/.pdf files (GhostView)

If you are really new to Linux, Slackware is best learned at an
InstallFest or with the help of someone who has run it a while.
Slackware does force you to learn! It doesn't automate alot of the
things that the "Big Three" do, but alot of Slackware users think that
is a Good Thing.

Dennis Kibbe