filesystem weirdness :(

James Mabry plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:33:02 -0700

Hey all,
I'm using Debian unstable and have been very pleased as I have not run
into many problems...until now.

I wanted to convert my filesystems from ext2 to ext3 so to be safe I
booted my machine with knoppix. I used tune2fs -j on /dev/hda1 (/) and
/dev/hda6 (/home) successfully but when I tried it on /dev/hda7 (/usr) I
got the following error:

"tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda7
couldn't find valid filesystem superblock."

I thought I specified the wrong device but /usr is in fact /dev/hda7. I
booted back into my normal debian install (no longer using knoppix) and
was very surprised to see that only /dev/hda1 (/) was mounted yet I was
still able to access /home and /usr! What's going on here :(!?!