How To Replace GNOME with KDE

Frank Mandato plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
13 Jun 2003 20:04:01 -0700

  Funny thing happened. I logged out and logged back in, run level 3. At
the prompt I typed "startkde" and here are the error messages that
resulted:

   xsetroot: unable to open display ''
   xrdb: Can't open display"
   xset: unable to open display""
   startkde: Starting up...
   ksplash: cannot connect to X server
   kdeinit: Aborting. $Display not set
   Warning: connect () failed: :no such file or directory
   Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
   startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
   startkde: Done.

  Then I typed startx and the X server started up --- in KDE, what is
happening???

  I am now in KDE and I don't dare switch --- who knows what will
happen.

  Thanks.

  FrankM