Convince me about Debian

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:33:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Phil Mattison wrote:

> Several people have said "Knopix!" but all I can find is a run-from-CD thing
> that comes on a single CD. I don't want to run from CD.

You can use it to install and run from hard-disk too.

> Its very frustrating
> trying to sort out 7 different distros each with 5 versions made up of
> hundreds of separate packages. That's why I let that RH7.3 dog keep
> sleeping. Learn Linux in 100,000 easy steps!

There's a lot more that seven distros (although many are based on same).

http://www.linux.org/dist/ lists over 200. I have read that over 500 and
over 750 different distros have been started.

When I have time, I'll be creating webpages and releasing my distro which
I started last October and is based on ideas from *BSDs and uses the
cross-platform pkgsrc package building collection.

On that note, there's also the few BSD flavours to also consider in
addition to Linux distros. The administration is very similar and often to
end-users, it appears and behaves identical (when using same end-user
software, of course).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.isp-faq.com/

p.s. I'm teaching a week long BSD administration class in Phoenix starting
June 23.