Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:30:57 -0700 (GMT)

I admit that sometimes Linux does require some "geeky" tweaking.  But this is getting less and less needed.  My last install was to put Red Hat Linux 9 on a Compaq AMD K6-2 400.  Install went smooth and I have not had to tweak anything.  It just worked and works.  I was expecting to have to tweak the NIC driver as I have in past versions but RH 9 just handled it.

I think your suspicion is incorrect.  I am not reluctant to recommend Linux to any of my computer using friends and family.  It is not hard to run and I believe most people would be quite happy with it, given the try.  Besides, I have to help them tweak stuff on their Windows boxes anyway.  I'd rather spend the help time on Linux.

There, I counter your anicdote with mine.  :^)

Alan

-------Original Message-------
From: Tom Achtenberg <TomA@fh.org>
Sent: 06/12/03 02:04 PM
To: "'plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us'" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: RE: Good Bye Gnome, Hello KDE, I hope

> Actually I've tried Linux on several boxes with the same disappointing
results.  The present one is a 3 year old AMD K6-2 500 with 196k RAM.  I forget
the video card but my son was using it for his games which ran it harder
than anything I've ever done in Linux.

I think the something else option is probably the correct one.  I suspect
most of the happy Linux desktop users are the geeks who are willing to take
the time to edit config files and recompile kernels and apps all the time.
 With Windows I don't have to do any of that and have nice GUI interfaces
for what configuration I do need to do.