CPU Speeds and Fry's E (OT)

Voltage Spike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:40:52 -0700

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:45:43AM -0700, George Gambill wrote:

> I was wanting to build a new LTSP server so last week, I bought an AMD
> Athlon XP 2200 (and MoBo) from Fry's Electronic. The Athlon XP 2200 is
> supposed to run at 1.8 GHz.  However, while booting, the system shows the
> CPU to be an Athlon 1500+.  Further, (booting under Knoppix) the Knoppix CD
> shows it running (while booting) at 1344 MHz (1.344 GHz).
>
> The MoBo somehow identifies the CPU and sets the clock rate accordingly.
>
> Looking at the Setup Utility (CTRL + DEL while booting), in the "CPU PnP
> Setup" section, everything is grayed out (including CPU Frequency) except
> "CPU Speed".   The default CPU speed is 100/100.MHz.  Other options are
> 100/133, 133/133 and 166/133.  Could these have any bearing on the 1500+
> issue?

Yes!  Do not fault Fry's Electronics or the motherboard manufacturer.

Essentially, the motherboard supports both XP and non-XP versions of the
processor.  You may safely(1) "transform" your Athlon 1500+ processor into
an Athlon XP 2200, change the "CPU Speed" setting.  I am fairly sure
that the proper setting is "133/133" and that "166/133" is an
overclocking option, but I have a slower processor.

(1) I say safely because you really do have the XP version of the
    processor which has been rated at a certain level.  My guess is that
    a normal Athlon 1500+ may be clocked up to an Athlon XP 2200, but it
    would exceed the original processor specifications.

PS: I am not sure if the situation is similar with the P4.  I have very
little experience with them.

--
                                                          Logan Kennelly
      ,,,