Web server on Cox

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:07:49 -0700

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 01:28 pm, Virgil Silhanek wrote:
> I've recently upgraded and am running Mandrake 9.1 now.  I seem to have
> the Apache server working fine, but am running off of Cox cable modem
> and believe they are blocking me.  Is there any way around that?
>
> I really don't want to do more with the web site than post quite a few
> pictures(more than the 10mb cox gives) so my friends and family in Iowa
> can view them.

The simple solution is to just run Apache on a higher port.  Cox usually only
blocks the standard ports like 80 and 25.  If you have Apache running on,
say, port 8090, then it won't be blocked.  This isn't feasible if you expect
random people to go to your website, but if your audience is all friends and
family, you can just tell them the port number along with your URL.