IDE RAID

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:56:55 -0700

> Has anyone used any of the *hardware* IDE RAID controllers under Linux?
> I'm looking at ones from Promise and Adaptec. Thoughts? I basically want
> to do a simple RAID mirror of two IDE drives, but I don't want to do
> software RAID - I want "real" hardware RAID that is 100% transparent to
> the OS. Any thoughts?

I have done this in the past with a hardware RAID 1 controller from ArcoIDE
(www.arcoide.com). Basic RAID 1 requires no Linux drivers or support, you
setup the mirroring with a DR-DOS bootable disk they provide. If you want
auto-rebuild, you need a kernel patch that they provide. This is not the
'fastest' solution since the units I got were ATA-33 and ATA-66.

I have also heard decent things about the HighPoint RAID controllers. I have
seen these built in several motherboards recently.

Hope this helps,