oracle on Debian, et al.

Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:34:44 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Jun, 2003 schw=E4tzte Mike Starke so:

> 1. I understand Oracle is available on Linux and would like to
>    install it on a Debian machine. Two question:
>    a. could anyone explain their licensing scheme for a home-based
>      system.

I don't understand their licensing.

>    b. direct me to a download page if it is available free. Their
>       site is terribly confusing to navigate for such items.

It was majorly confusing last time I was on it. That's what you get for
letting a bunch of database geeks design your interface ;-).

> 2. Sevcond question, and a bit off this topic: Is it because Debian
>    is not your traditional commercial Linux distribution that you do not
>    see "supported" in most tables of supported distributions? And secondl=
y,

Yes. debian is not a company, so companies don't know who to approach for
drawing up agreements. debian also generally looks down on companies as
well, so they're unlikely to want to step into that arena.

>    since I am a Debian snob, when it says something about Redhat Advanced=
 Server,
>    what does this have to offer above the regular Redhat?

Based on customers running Advanced Server it offers one of the main
features of debian stable, namely old software :).

Red Hat claims to have also done a bunch of kernel stuff, including tuned i=
better for a stable server environment. The theory being that Linux can be
tuned to be a snazzy sports car or a mack truck or just about any other
vehicle. The normal dist is the family sedan that can be configured to look
like a sports car or SUV, but AS is the solid, heavy duty work truck.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  We now return you to your regularly scheduled paranoia...