Perpetual UDP shell ?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:59:14 -0700

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 06:48:59PM -0700, Entelin wrote:
> Is there such a thing for linux as a UDP telnet ? I think it would be
> useful for extremely unreliable connections such as a high altitude
> weather balloon communicating over packet HAM radio. I dont want any
> security, etc etc, just essentially a perpetual shell on udp.

Yes, it is possible to do UDP telnet. I've done this using netcat. You can
also setup a nice insecure shell using netcat as a listener.

That being said....   If it were me, I would investigate SNMP.
SNMP is UDP based, and the 'plumbing' is already there. It is designed to
work while the network is dying or under duress. You can have the
weather balloons send snmp messages (called a trap) to your logging station.
You can also request information using GETs, and even change settings with
SETs. Your mileage may vary.

Tony Wasson