amusing kde discovery... kstars

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:14:59 -0700 (GMT)

You're going to submit this to the PLUG web site as a review, right?  ;^)

Alan

-------Original Message-------
From: "David A. Sinck" <plug-discuss@grueslayer.com>
Sent: 06/06/03 07:55 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: amusing kde discovery... kstars

Ok, so there were my kids paying around with knoppix when they ran
across 'kstars'.  In-computer planetarium.  It's right cool.  Being
more gnomey than kdey, I hadn't been to the other side.  It certainly
resolves one problem I had with looking at 'stars' when I was a kid.
"Mom look!  A star!"  "Which one?"  "I dunno, but it's IN THE
TELESCOPE."  "How nice, dear."

Of course telescopic star gazing still suffers from "that's just a spec
of light" even when it's a planet in the telescope.  Particularly
after I think "I've got a planetarium program now that shows specs of
light, information about them, and is inside."

:-)

Anyway, if you want to relive childhood memories or assist your kids
with accurately naming stars/constellations/panets, check out kstars.

Available in a package format of your choice.

David