Mounting Windows Shares Automatically (at boot, at login) Rep ort

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:47:17 -0700

On the at boot side.  Thanks to everyone's help it works.  The method I used
is:
Note: for the sake of confusion (hindsight v. foresight) one of my windows
shares is named "LinuxShare")

___ Make sure the Windows directories are shared.

___ Create the credentials file (.smbpasswd) in your home directory (if
needed):
    ___ cd /home/linuxusername
    ___ echo username=WindowsUserName > .smbpasswd
    ___ echo password=WindowsPassword >> .smbpasswd

___ Protect the credentials file from prying eyes:
    ___ chmod 600 .smbpasswd

___ Create the Linux mount points (I used LinuxShare and CGC_INQ):
    ___ mkdir /mnt/linuxshare
    ___ mkdir /mnt/cgc_inq

___ In fstab (at the bottom) add the lines:
    (There seems to be an order to some of the entries in fstab)
    (//servername/sharename /mountdirectory smbfs
credentials=/home/myhomedirectory/.smbpasswd,uid=LinuxUserName 0 0)

    ___ //WindowsHost/LinuxShare /mnt/linuxshare smbfs
credentials=/home/LinuxUserName/.smbpasswd,uid=LinuxUserName
    ___ //WindowsHost/CGC_INQ /mnt/cgc_inq smbfs
credentials=/home/LinuxUserName/.smbpasswd,uid=LinuxUserName

___ Create Links (from the command line, as root):
    (this was needed because of the error "smbmnt not running")
    ___ ln -s /usr/bin/smbmnt  /bin/smbmnt
    ___ ln -s /usr/bin/smbmount  /bin/smbmount

This is the method that worked for me.  YMMV.  Someday I hope to understand
the principles.

Note: It seems that the smb.conf file has nothing to do with this process.

Message: 5