MailDir and mail apps? [WAS: Re: dot-qmail questions]

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Jun 2003 15:14:19 -0700

mutt looks into each file, there is no hashed index, it's not needed. I
store everything in Maildirs/ for safety, there are trade offs it takes
a little longer to open an entire directory but it is trivial to delete,
move or add a new message and to see if there are unread messages.

Searching the content of the files is trivial grep is your friend for
this. For the last couple of years every mail app I've tried supports
Maildir/ with no problems.

My imap server stores everything in Maildirs/ so I can log in remotely
via ssh and use mutt to read my mail if I can't access a mail client
that can do IMAP. Works really nicely.

Cheers,

Davidm