Smbmount for Normal Users

Steve Holmes plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 21:24:21 -0700

Hey, I'm trying to do smbmounts as a normal user so I can access my
home directory on my server.  When I do the following,
smbmount //lnx1/steve /lnx1
I get the following response;
cannot mount on /lnx1: Operation not permitted
smbmnt failed: 1

I set the setuid flag on smbmnt as suggested by the program when I
tried it the first time and got a different error.  The share name is
'steve' which is my user dir on the server and /lnx1, the local mount
point is like any other mount point owned by root.  I know that normal
mounts can't usually be done by normal users but I think for mounting
user shares, this is the only way to go.

Am I missing something here?  Is this possible?  BTW, I'm running
Slackware 9.0 with a 2.4.20 kernel.