ftp

Charlie Bullen plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Dec 101 10:17:10 -0700 (MST)

Good Morning, I need to copy several directories complete with all
files they contain from one computer to another using ftp. The location
of the directories on computer 1 is /var/www with several subdirectories.
Many of the subdirectories also have subdirectories and all contain
multiple files. I want the stucture on computer 2 to be the same as on
computer 1.

I establish an ftp connection from computer 2 to computer 1 and make the
following entry:

mget /var/www/* /var/www

It seems to start the transfer and asks me if I want to transfer each
file. I answered y. I then closed the session and got the following response:

ftp> exit
221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
221-Total traffic for this session was 244 bytes in 0 transfers.
221-Thank you for using the FTP service on webserver1.
221 Goodbye.

to be sure I went to /var/www on computer 2 and sure enough nothing was
there. Any Ideas?

I could get in my car and drive over to the site where all these files
reside on a win 98 box and ftp them from there to computer 2, but since I
can ssh into computer 2 from home it seems like there mst be a way to do
it remotley.

Sad to say all of my ftp expierience has been using a windows client to
ftp to a linux or unix box, no command line expierience.

Thanks

Charlie