port probing of dialup - yes, it happens.

rustyc rustyc@descomp.com.carruth.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 9 Aug 100 06:16:36 -0700 (MST)

Kinda offtopic, but it seems to me that a  short reminder
every once in a while is healthy, so I'll risk getting flamed
and say:

Just a short note - I was looking at my logs recently and
yes indeedy, I've had someone trying to hack into my machine.

So it made me think I should remind everyone:

	Is YOUR machine ready for the internet?

(Of course, I'm dialed in (at about 44k) 24x7, so my chances of
getting hit are higher than the 1h/day users, but don't think
that just because you are dialup you are not going to be probed...)

Followups should probably go to the security-discuss list...
(what, you're not on the security-discuss list?? yikes! ;-)

we return you to your regularly-scheduled plug ;-)

rc