LTSP vs. Win Terminal Server vs. Citrix

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
31 Jan 2003 15:17:32 -0700

I would like to make a point about the Crossover/Win4Lin etc.

It should not go unsaid...
Better to break the windows umbilical cord as soon as possible. Saw the
leg off at the ankle rather than risk losing the whole leg.

There are some who will make every attempt to hang on to Windows stuff
and they will be disgruntled / frustrated and people will waste their
time and money trying to make Windows work on Linux.

I would prefer to think of it as make the break, soon as possible and as
cleanly as possible and move on to spending your resources on Linux and
not making Windows run on Linux.

Here's the way I handled it. I bought a Shuttle G40S and installed RH 8
on it and created a bunch of users and set it up so that each user had a
VNC Server. Then I set up Samba (or netatalk for Mac users) so that each
user could copy some files to their home directory and installed VNC
Viewer on their normal computer. I showed them how to connect to their
remote workspace using VNC viewer. This allowed them to connect to the
computer, access their same email via imap, use mozilla, use OO to open
their Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents, etc. I also installed Flash
Player & Acrobat Reader (shame on me for these two non-open source
installs) and let them use it. (I gave them each 1024x768x16M colors)

They were all impressed, found their documents and things generally
worked well. Show them the 4 desktops (how to put their word processing
in one desktop, email in another, spreadsheets in another, etc.) and
show them the 3 buttons (especially the 3rd button / auto-paste)

Craig